Tuesday, January 29, 2008

STATE OF THE UNION.

Last night I was at Esptein's. It's located on the Lower East Side and every Monday night, they have 25 Cent wings. So I find myself there enjoying some wings and beers and fries and laughs. As the meal begins to end and my fingers are very greasy, someone behind the bar puts on the State Of The Union address that Bush is giving. Its live. It takes about 15 minutes for the people inside to take notice. Two girls eating beside me talk loudly about gay marriage, an issue that I think is very important, but at the time I wanted to hear what Bush was saying. 

After a while everyone turned around, and everyone started paying attention. And there was something profound about the way it happened. At first everyone was wrapped up in there own thing. But as they began to take notice I looked around the place. White, Black, Asian. Teenagers, Young men and women, older adults. Looking around I saw that in this moment it didn't matter who you were or how old, because so many of us across this country are actually watching politics in a way that we haven't before. We want to know whats happening, and we want to be informed. And so on that note, if you didn't get the chance to watch it, you can PEEP it here. 


No comments: